[mythtv-users] Adding a hard drive, LVM or RAID0

greg at nodecam.com greg at nodecam.com
Thu May 19 19:23:40 UTC 2005

> Here's my understanding of what I'd need to do for LVM, which seems
> straight forward:
>
> LVM
> 1) Install LVM tools (very likely they are already available through
> urpmi)
> 2) Create a physical volume on the new hard drive
> 3) Create a volume group on the new hard drive
> 4) Create a logical volume on the new hard drive
> 5) Mount the new hard drive, copy the data from my video partition over
> 6) Unmount both the new hard drive and my old video partition, rename
> the logical partition to be the same as my old partition
> 6b) At this point, it's essentially the same as if I had just added
> the hard drive and copied the stuff over
> 7) Create a physical volume in my old video partition
> 8) Add the physical volume to the new volume group

9) Add space to logical volume
10) resize filesystem on logical volume.

10) was a gotcha that I hadn't seen mentioned previously - I added a new
hard drive, added it to the volume group, added the space to the logical
volume, and didn't see any change to my free space.  *Obviously* I had to
resize the filesystem, but I didn't know that at the time :)

It was pretty easy to add space though, and once I realized that I had to
resize the filesystem, everything went smoothly.

Greg