[mythtv-users] nuvexport/transcode + dvb + a/v sync problem

Philip Nelson phatfil at optusnet.com.au
Thu May 19 09:25:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 19:09, Nick wrote:
> I'd also *never* recommend exporting a DVB file to mp4 (of which DivX,
> XVid etc all are) and then re-exporting to mp4 again.

I was automatically transcoding all my recordings to mpeg4 to save disk space
while they were in mythtv, then later either deleted them or transcoding to
xvid to put on CD or something. I've done this for many other dvb recordings
and haven't had any problems before (and I was always very happy with the
quality of the xvid I ended up with).

> You will lose a
> lot of quality in the process. The ideal process would be to take the
> DVB file, "fix" it if there are errors in the streams (there usually
> are in my UK recorded DVB files), make the cuts (using lossless GOP
> editing), and then export it to the final XVid file. This should
> ensure the highest quality output, and is likely to be much quicker
> also, as the intermediate mp4 is not used.

This sounds good, as I've stopped the automatic myth transcoding now anyway.
So Program-X is what you use to "fix" the dvb file? Do you also use that for
the cuts? (I saw it has a cutlist feature)

I'm just wondering how myth is able to play the 'broken' transcoded mpeg4 file
so well - no a/v sync issues at all.

Thanks for your help, appreciated :)
Philip