[mythtv-users] tv programs that run long

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 19 06:14:03 UTC 2005

Mat Mrosko wrote:

>On 5/18/05, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>

>>Oh, and here's my favorite (from
>>http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1521.htm? ):
>>
>>For 4 to 8 hours after making your connection to the TiVo service, your
>>Program Guide Data may show "TBA" with descriptions that read "Program
>>titles and descriptions available soon." This means that your DVR is
>>indexing. During this time, you can watch any channels and use any play
>>features (fast forward, rewind, and pause). You cannot record until the
>>indexing is finished.
>>

>I didn't click your link, but as a former (and sort of current) TiVo
>user, that is not true at all.... That is only during the VERY FIRST
>TIME you ever connect to the TiVo service, or I guess if you've had it
>unplugged for over 2 weeks.

That makes much more sense than the way they explained it (the above is
a direct quote from the page at the link).

>>BTW, what could they possibly be doing during indexing that takes 4-8
>>hours?  An 8088 should be able to prep guide data in less than 4-8 hours...
>>

>You got me there... plus, i'm guessing 8088 is the processor?  All I
>know about it is that on the Series 2's it's a MIPS processor, and
>that it's only something weak like 100MHz.... but if people on the
>list don't already know, TiVo actually runs linux!!!  Too bad it's not
>a gentoo build.... ;)

I didn't know what king of processor the TiVo uses, but I knew it wasn't
a high-speed processor.  I was just trying to say that the old Intel
8088 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8088 ), a 16-bit processor that ran
at 4.77MHz, should be able to finish in less than 8 hours.

Mike