[mythtv-users] ALL Scheduled recordings are completely black.

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 18 17:20:59 UTC 2005

Joseph Garner wrote:

> Brand new to linux and MythTV. Downloaded and installed Fedora Core 3
> 32 bit everything worked great. Followed the guide on wilsonet and got
> MythTV installed. I found great information for every kink and bump
> that I ran into except for this one last little bugger.
>
> ALL Scheduled recordings are completely black.
>
> MythTV version .18
> PVR 350
> AMD +1700
> 512 MB Ram
>
> When I do
> cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
> and then
> mplayer -vo xv /tmp/test_capture.mpg
> I get a nice clear picture with sound. Then I go into MythTV and watch
> live TV, everything works great so far. Schedule a recording and it
> comes out all black. 1 hour of pitch black, no snow, no fuzz no
> nothing. Then I go back to live TV and I get black on everything.
>
> I go to the shell and type
>
> # /usr/bin/ivtvctl -u 0x3000
> # /usr/bin/ivtvctl -p 4
> # /usr/bin/ivtvctl -f width=720,height=480

> I’ve looked around but can’t find any information on what’s going on
> or how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like you're recording from the wrong input. You seem to want the
tuner (-p 4), but the black screen with no sound seems to indicate
you're recording from S-Video or Composite. So go into mythtv-setup and
check your configuration. See
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html for more info (read the
whole section--it has all the info you need to get it working).

Mike