[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed May 18 14:31:59 UTC 2005

On 5/17/05, Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> DRM requires a system where the default is no copying and only certain
> exceptions are allowed.  That precludes open tools and open source.  It's
> hard to imagine any DRM, even the most permissive, not shutting linux
> tools out of the media playing space.   I have imagined some methods but
> they remain ugly and still shut out the innovation that this space is
> about.

Brad, given the non-trivial technical hurdles that preclude open
solutions from competing in many aspects of the HD arena (not to
mention DMCA legal obstacles), perhaps we should look to our legal
options.

Do you think that a company (which sells Myth boxes) or group of
developers could bring suit against either the cable/satellite
companies on anti-trust grounds? The Myth-based company claiming that
they are being excluded from the HD PVR market, perhaps.

Are there other legal avenues that we could pursue?

Lane

--
Meetup with other Myth users!
http://mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MUG