[mythtv-users] MythTV - few tweaks needed

Risto Treksler risto at elkhornbanff.ca
Wed May 18 06:47:14 UTC 2005

> 1) When MythTV is recording and I select "Watch TV" I'd like it to
> show live TV, the channel is's on now. Instead it tells me that it has
> no more tuners and directs me to another menu where I can manage and
> watch recordings. Rather long process for a very straightforward
> operation. Any way I can change this?

you can't do it without changing the code

perhaps
- when there are no tuners available:
- the "Watch TV" menu item should:
  start showing the most recent recording at the top of "all recordings"

and only when the user tries to change the channel or to do picture in picture
or something it could complain that there are no more tuners

hmm,
i wonder if "picture in picture" while watching a recording would be useful
i.e. put LiveTV or a recording into PIP while watching a recording

> 2) Some of the operations on my recordings are done from one menu
> (Watch Recordings), other operations from a totally different place
> (Utilities/Setup). In particular, I can't find a way to delete a
> recording from the same place I can watch it from.

you can delete while you watch by hitting D
OR
you can set mythtv to "prompt at end of watching a recording"
and/or to prompt "when exiting a recording"
OR
you can hit "right arrow" followed by "up arrow" and the "left arrow"
while a recording is selected in the "watch recordings" screen

> 3) Any way to get MythTV to keep running the live TV buffer while I'm
> crawling around menus? Say, I want to go play with settings and
> whatnot, and in the meantime I want it to keep buffering TV so I can
> watch it later. Kind of like TiVo does, it always records something.

that might be nice, ie keep the livetv buffer full of the last channel watched
also with 2 tuners, the last 2 channels watched could be buffered
ie when you go channel up, it would actually go to the next channel on the
next tuner, then you could go back to the last channel and rewind!

would be pretty cool, but alas pretty useles for most ppl,
as most ppl don't watch livetv with mythtv

> 4) If I watch TV and send "record" command, it records from the
> current time, losing the live buffer. Can I change this? (again, Tivo
> does it: if I'm 10 minutes into the show and select to record, I get
> the first 10 minutes into my recording).

i hate that too
there is a setting for "livetv buffer change warnings"
to workaround some related issues.

--
Risto Treksler
Elkhorn Lodge