[mythtv-users] Writing DVD from web interface?

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Wed May 18 02:56:50 UTC 2005

> > I grabed the CVS version. But when I look at the README,
> > it points to a link to a dead article. Looking at install.sh,
> > it looks like I cna just run it, and all will be well. But rather
> > than mess up my system, I thought I'd ask if that's correct?

First off, in its current state, getting mythburn running and actually
burning a DVD is *not* going to be as simple as running install.sh .
Read on

Ensure you have all of the prerequesites installed first. - start
here: http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MythTVBurn_Scripts_HowTo

You want to upgrade to latest CVS *first*, and then carefully review
the install scripts to ensure that paths are correct for your mythtv
install and your location of web content and you may find some
discrepancies between what is in /usr/local/ and what is in /usr. The
defaults are correct for knoppmyth and MythTV 0.17. You'll have to do
some hacking to get the mythweb internationalization correct with
MythWeb in 0.18+

Once you've done that, you'll want to test out the web interface and
try out burning and check out the mythburn logfiles each step of the
way - it's pretty good at telling you *why* it's failing. Start out by
not trying to cut commercials.

If you get NTSC broadcasts, you''ll want to disable replex and enable
mplex, and you'll probably end up with thumbnails of shows with
inverse colors and upside down. You'll need to change two lines on
Itranscode statements and add/remove a "-z" and a "-k"

Most of this is documented here:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=MythTVBurn_Scripts_HowTo

You *might* have some luck posting to a new thread like this one -
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3848

But... sadly, it seems that since the phpBBS at mythsettopbox.tv got
hacked, and the previous threads lost, the CVS updates to mythtvburn
have significantly decreased (none in 2 months :( )

If only I could transcode and tcrequant *any* recordings - not just
mpeg2 - and squeeze an arbitrary number/length/size to fit onto a dvd,
I'd be *really* happy.

-Ross