[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Tom E. Craddock Jr. sigtom at sigtom.com
Wed May 18 01:56:43 UTC 2005

William wrote:
>>Basically correct (with 'blessed' meaning that the device
>>does some preliminary transactions to show it's compliant
>>with the spec) but even once the data is sent from the DVD or
>>cable box to the TV/monitor it's still encrypted as per the above.
>>

> These difficulies are what is leading me to think about getting a hd dvr
> from one of the providers. The local cable co is giving them away for the
> same rental as a standard cable box. If its anything like a tivo the content
> of the box should be available over the network connection for easy copying.

No such luck for the TimeWarner/Brighthouse HD DVR box, the SA 8300HD.
No way to pull any thing off this box.  Doubt that any decent sized
cable co will make any box avail that has the ability to pull recordings
off for archival purposes.  They are nice for the novice user, but I
still use MythTV more than I use the 8300HD boxes.

Tom