[mythtv-users] Time Warner & Firewire

Nathan Poznick kraken at wang-fu.org
Mon May 16 21:09:08 UTC 2005

Thus spake Mark Knecht:
> Hi,
>    I've been following this thread sort of remotely. I'm an old 1394
> guy who worked on a number of the original IEEE specs for that
> technology so I have an interest. Besides I'm curious about what
> results I might get here in the Bay Area.
>
>    Do you know anything specific about what is and what is not
> actually on the 1394 bus? Is anything being transmitted? Has anyone
> had an opportunity to stick a bus sniffer on the cable? Or is it
> possible that the set top box is doing 5C content protection and the
> Linux 1394 stack isn't responding appropriately?

I can provide a sample transport stream that it dumps if you'd like,
along with the dvbsnoop output.  It appears that it's sending valid TS
packets, but they don't contain video data.  I only get a few hundred kb
worth of data when trying to record HD.  My guess is that it's trying to
determine if the receiver is 5C enabled.

--
Nathan Poznick <kraken at wang-fu.org>

"Sample my *fist*, you community theater reject!" -TV's Frank. #402