[mythtv-users] YASS (Yet Another Success Story): HD3000 and Knoppix Myth R5A15.1 backend + remote frontend

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Sun May 15 16:20:31 UTC 2005

YASS !!!

After spending 2 weeks with a dead card, RMAing it and getting
excellent service from Storm Logic (http://www.mythic.tv), got a
replacement HD3000 card.

Installed the card in a brand shinning new ECS KT600-A and Sempron
3000+ with 512mb DDR and 180GB Hitachi (aka tick tick drive).
Installed Knoppix Myth R5A15.1, got up and running in less than 15
mins ! My VGA card is GeForce2 MX440 64MB. Selected DVB driver as its
better supported. All channels scanned and locked. Ran the
DVB_fixer.sh script after the setup. Tried to watch Live TV, but
nothing. Seems like DVB+ATSC has some bugs. So, the working around is
start recording a channel and then watch it immediately. No biggy
right now.

Started recording of a show (Everybody Loves Raymond, which was coming
on CBS that time, the strongest channel/signal), then started playing,
major stutter ! And I'm thinking, man, with such a major stutter, how
can eveyone loves raymond !!!

Enabled libmpeg2 (NewBee Note: mythtv->Setup->TV->Playback (Screen 1)
--> enabled libmpeg2), still same stutter. Decided to upgrade the
nvidia driver. Dont know what version was already installed, couldn't
find out anyway to see the version number. So, just downloaded the
7174 version and installed it. Had to figure out how to stop the X !
(New Bee Note: /etc/init.d/gdm stop). So, after stopping X and
installing the driver, just follow the README file and change the
/etc/X11/XFree86Config-4 file.

Start the X again (NewBee Note: /etc/init.d/gdm start). Mythtv starts,
select the watch recordings and play the recorded program ! Voilla !!!
No stutter !!! I was instantly in love with Raymond too !!!!!

Now the next part, running frontend from a CD. Took the CD to another
machine (XP2800+ and ECS nForce2 motherboard, with FX5200 card,
connected to a Sun/Sony 20" monitor). Boot from the CD ! Try to
configure, leave default, then use English, IP address of the backend.
No luck :( Tinkered here and there, still no luck. Found out that I
need to grant privilages to all computers in my network. (NewBee Link:
 http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2). Restarted
mysql server (NB Note: /etc/init.d/mysql stop; /etc/init.d/mysql
start). Rebooted the frontend, configured everything, no luck !

I'm a network/kernel engineer who has tinkered with TCP/IP stack. So,
I know that something is missing on the backend side. I do a netstat
-an and no one is listening on the port 3306. Should have checked it
first ! Then opened the my.cnf file (NB Note: /etc/mysql/my.cnf) file
and commented out skip-networking line. Restarted the mysql again (NB:
see above somewhere). Restarted the mythfrontend from the remote
machine !!  I saw the gray theme loading and I know its working
!!!!!!!!!

Mythfrontend comes up, I can select the recording and play it !! (This
I did on a different machine this morning which is sitting in the
garage, XP2000+ and 512mb sdram, as everyone is sleeping in the
house). So, I can see the CSI and Cold Case I recorded last night,
although everything in slow motion (what do you expect from a XP2000+
and Matrox Millineum 4MB PCI card ;-)

Next steps are 1) configure the haupagge media mvp 2) get a decent HD
frontend (Roku HD1000 or IOData AveL Link Player 2 or home made PC)

Thanks guys (and gals) for reading this so far :-)

Just wanted to share Yet Another Success Story !

Mudit