[mythtv-users] XvMC in preview?

Howard Cokl hojoloco at yahoo.com
Sun May 15 00:57:27 UTC 2005

--- Michael Carland <mcarland at bitsgonewild.net> wrote:

> On May 14, 2005, at 7:22 PM, Örn Einar Hansen wrote:
>
> > Şann Sunnudagur 15 maí 2005 01:24 skrifaği Michael
> Carland:
> >> Howdy.
> >>
> >> I'm running .18 with XvMC (EPIA), mpeg2 all the
> way through. When I
> >> watch live TV, cpu usage is about 15-20%, and all
> is well. Live TV in
> >> the EPG and prerecorded TV is the same.
> >>
> >> But when I am seeing a video preview under Watch
> Recordings, cpu is
> >> about 95%, and the preview is very skittery. I
> assume this is because
> >> the preview video is not using XvMC?
> >>
> >> Is this true? Is there another solution? If it is
> true, is there a
> >> technical reason the preview doesn't use XvMC, or
> has it just not been
> >> done yet, and is something I could look into
> fixing?
> >>
> >   Did you remember to modify the "mplayer"
> playback command, to
> > include '-vo
> > xvmc -vc ffmpeg12mc" ?
>
> I may be misunderstanding what you are suggesting,
> but I think you are
> referring to MythVideo video playback, which is
> working fine for me. I
> am talking about the small preview window of the
> recorded programs.
> Even here, the actual playback is fine, it is only
> the preview that
> chews through cpu and looks poor. Media
> Library->Watch Recordings.
>
> Turning on "CPU friendly preview of recordings"
> helps, as it then only
> uses 60% cpu. But since all other display of video
> only uses 20%, and
> this is the only display that has tearing and uses
> 95% (or 60%) cpu,
> I'm thinking the preview is not using XvMC like the
> others.
>
> -Michael
I'm not one of the dev guys, just a (l)user but it
seems to me that what you are describing is perfectly
natural.  The main screen is displaying the recorded
OSD and generating a preview which it has to scale
down to fit in a small size, the CPU load is more
because it is doing more things at the same time.

Howard