[mythtv-users] Setting up MythTV using a PVR350 on NTL in the UK

Miah Gregory mace at darksilence.net
Sat May 14 19:56:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 14:12 +0100, Miah Gregory wrote:

Replying to myself, sure signs of madness.. :)

> Bought a red eye serial cable, but whenever I send the 3 digit channel
> numbers down to the box, often the last digit doesn't get through, and
> less often there are problems with the first/second. Checked I'm in RC5
> mode (correct for the 4001 series), and emailed the vendor, who
> basically suggested repositioning the transmitter. :-(
> Has anyone else had luck with this setup, or suggest where I might be
> going wrong?

Ok I seem to have gotten it working, by cleaning the transluscent panel
in front of the IR's both inside and out, and sticking the transmitter
as close as possible to the surface of the panel. I also had to add a
',' wait state to the end of all commands sent to the transmitter in
order for the final digit to be correctly processed.

Time will tell whether it continues to work, but it does seem a bit
wierd that the transmitter is so low powered that distance and
visibility is so important (given that it's now sitting around about
1.5cm away from the IR receiver).

--
Miah Gregory