[mythtv-users] DirecTV Receiver Recommendations?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sat May 14 19:16:06 UTC 2005

Matt D. Robinson wrote:

> Hi, all.  I've been using my MythTV setup off and on, but now I'm
> looking for a better  DirecTV receiver.  The original one I have from
> the first DirecTV installation is extremely old.  I'd like to get
> something that can handle channel changer signal inputs from my
> computer/PVR-350 for my U.S. (NTSC) configuration, but also be
> reasonably inexpensive if possible.

RCA DRD-435RH eBay $1, call up Directv and order a new access card for
it $20 shipped fedex overnight.  Can't get much cheaper than that.  This
is a multsat receiver (supports the new 72.5 orbital slot for locals in
the recently added areas) and it has a serial port for channel changing
from a serial port.  No need to make/buy an IRblaster.

> The most important reason why I'm asking is because of all the ivtv
> tuner= types out there.  It would be great if someone can recommend a
> brand/version that matches a specific tuner type which I can cable up
> and get working without a bunch of excess testing.

The ivtv tuner types have nothing to do with Directv.  You will be
taking the audio/video out of the sat receiver and using the
audio/s-video inputs on your PVR-350, no tuner involved.

http://mythhd.info/directv.html

--
David

HDTV frontend I'm working on (pictures, mythmon source)
  http://mythhd.info