[mythtv-users] Non-digital cable noob questions

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Fri May 13 19:34:29 UTC 2005

On 5/13/05, Dan H Orlic <dan.orlic at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    I am getting ready to take the leap into the mythtv fray.  I have
> gotten 2 pvr-150 cards and going to get a supported video card with
> s-video out capabilities. The cable set up is non-digital comcast tv
> with two physical cables, an A and B cable.  My hope is to connect the A
> cable to one, and the B to the other...pretty smart huh?

should work. You'd have been better off getting the PVR-500 and just
connecting one cable to both, the 500 has dual tuners and might have
saved you a little dough (I think the 500 is cheaper than 2 x 150)

> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1)  since the pvr-150 cards do not have ir receivers, what do I use to
> control the cards?  as I understand it an "IR Blaster" is used to change
> channels on the digital receiver to record shows.

use whatever you'd like. A keyboard, a remote and IR receiver. All it
has to do is be able to interface with mythtv's software. I've heard
some people have had success with IR keyboards and learning remotes.

> 2)  Since my cable is not digital, do I need the cable box at all or can
> the pvr card handle the tuning on their own?

the PVR card can do the tuning on it's own, you're correct.

> 3)  Any other tips & tricks before I get started would be greatly
> appreciated.

sounds like you're pretty well on the right track, give it a shot and
see how far you get!

 - Jeff