[mythtv-users] scratched DVDs?

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Fri May 13 14:27:04 UTC 2005

I have a DVD that I'm trying to view, but it is either scratched or
has some bad sectors on it.  The disk in question is one disk in a
full-season of a TV series, with 4 episodes on each side of the disk.
I can't rip it in Myth, it locks up my cheap standalone DVD player,
and my powerbook also fails to read it.

When I try to do a perfect rip of all 4 episodes in Myth, I get 3
episodes without errors.  However, the 1st episode is where the bad
sectors are.  After a few minutes of printing kernel messages
regarding bad sectors, mtd gives up on it, and the rip fails.

So.. my question is: Is it feasible to make mtd just keep going until
it gets past the scratch?  Is there any existing *nix software that
will rip a DVD with bad sectors?

If nothing exists, I think I'm going to try to hack mtd to just skip
over the bad sectors.  My first (naive) attempt will be to just make
DVDThread::ripTitle() ignore bad reads and continue on in the loop.
But I know nothing about the VOB format, and I don't know if I'll
just expend a lot of effort to create a file that xine (or mplayer, or
whatever) will not be able to play.

Has anybody else dealt with this before?

Thanks,

Drew