[mythtv-users] PVR350 or PVR150

Jason Werpy jwwerpy at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:46:04 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Klaubert Herr da Silveira <klauberts at yahoo.com> wrote:
> People,
>
> I want to build my MythTV and feel a great enphasis in Hauppage board in site
> and mailing-list.
>
> But I'm in doubt about what board buy. PVR350 or PVR150.
>
> The question is:
>
> - 350 has a decoder in hardware that help in less CPU use. But will it help in
> Video quality?
> - Is this CPU decoding in hardware of 350 significant for a Sempron 2GHz?
> - Is 150 working well (ok, in development driver) for mythtv use?
> - I see in ivtv mailing-list that quality of encondig of 150 is better than
> 350, because diferent processor, is this correct?
> - 150 has no remote control, can I use other or buy other one from hauppage and
> use with this board?
>
> Thaks in advance,
>
> Klaubert

I have a 250 and a 150.  In my opinion the 250 is the better card
right now.  The work on the driver for the 150 is getting there,
though.  But I still have issues with the sound sometimes (sometimes
not) and scaling is broken off and on in the drivers depending on the
version you get.  In the backported stuff in the 0.2 version drivers
scaling doesn't work.  Thats not unworkable, but for my 250 the
drivers I'm using are real solid (my cards are in different boxes
using different drivers).

I can't say anything about the 350, though.