[mythtv-users] PVR350 or PVR150

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Thu May 12 18:00:08 UTC 2005

On 5/12/05, Klaubert Herr da Silveira <klauberts at yahoo.com> wrote:
> People,
>
> I want to build my MythTV and feel a great enphasis in Hauppage board in site
> and mailing-list.
>
> But I'm in doubt about what board buy. PVR350 or PVR150.
>
> The question is:
>
> - 350 has a decoder in hardware that help in less CPU use. But will it help in
> Video quality?
> - Is this CPU decoding in hardware of 350 significant for a Sempron 2GHz?
> - Is 150 working well (ok, in development driver) for mythtv use?
> - I see in ivtv mailing-list that quality of encondig of 150 is better than
> 350, because diferent processor, is this correct?
> - 150 has no remote control, can I use other or buy other one from hauppage and
> use with this board?

The 350 has video out, the 150 doesn't. It's up to you how you want to
set up your system. If you're using it for mostly just TV, the 350's
mpeg output is stunning. If you plan on doing HD or a lot of other
activities on the TV (DVD, games, etc) you may want to just use svideo
out on a graphics card and save money by getting the 150 or 250

 - Jeff