[mythtv-users] Confused about resolution for DVB-T

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Thu May 12 08:04:13 UTC 2005

I know with analogue cards there are lots of tweaks that can be made
to affect image quality, but with DVB cards I'm a little confused
about the following:

1) How come the recording settings only offer RTJPEG and MPEG4? I
thought DVB was an MPEG2 stream which the DVB tuner card basically
just dumps to disk.

2) What is the best resolution - the default is 480x480? Does changing
this make any difference given that the broadcast stream is dumped
straight to disk? If not, how do you affect the picture quality - what
are the settings I should play with?

As an aside, I've noticed that if you press "i" to get the programme
description when watching LiveTV on some of my digital channels, the
description box comes up skewed to the right of the screen with the
right hand end off screen. This makes me suspicious that a lot of the
picture is lost off the right of the screen as well. How do I fix
this?

PS - I'm in Australia if that makes any difference?

Regards,
Phill