[mythtv-users] keeping frontend in a separate room ?

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Thu May 12 00:33:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'd like to make frontend for HDTV but want to keep in a separate
room. That way I dont have to  care about how it looks, how quiet is
it , etc etc. I can house it in a big case with loud fans. I dont have
to spend money in a nice looking case and quiet power supply etc. The
frontend will be controlled via an RF remote which is supported by
linux/lirc. Any suggestions for the RF remote ? The frontend will be
in garage or somewhere, about 50-100 ft away.

How do I route the audio/video cables ?

Connection options for Video:

1. Run Long VGA cables (50-100 ft) and then use VGA to Component transcoder.
2. Run Long Component Cables (video card which has component
connector, such as 6200 or 6600)

Connection for Audio ?
How long digital coax cable can I run ? How about analog audio cables ?

Thanks

Mudit
p.s.: still torn between a small/sleek frontend (such as Roku HD1000
for $300 , cromwell for $600) or a huge powerhouse for $400 which I
can use for other things besides watching HDTV.