[mythtv-users] HDTV Recording Profiles

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Wed May 11 22:15:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:53:52PM -0500, Jonathan Watmough wrote:
> Does that mean it includes both 'channels' for HD channels that have > 1
> subchannels ?

When I originally wrote the HDTV code it did, but that has since
changed.  The reason is rarely do you want to record more than 1
subchannel.  So, when you record a channel it takes the incoming data
and strips all the other subchannels off, except for the one you had set
to record.  You also would then have to have 2 HDTV tuners to record 2
subchannels on one channel right now, but this will change in the future
(We just need a smarter packet processor that knows it should save N
number of streams to different files if you want more than 1 stream on
the same channel, and DVB will better support this feature also.)

There is also some additional processing done on the packets to get rid
of redundant data, so we're not storing pure MPEG-TS streams...  They're
closer to/if not mpeg-ps streams when saved to disk.

--Brandon