[mythtv-users] Scary times ahead

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Wed May 11 21:21:51 UTC 2005

Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Wed 11 May 2005 20:33, Ross Campbell wrote:
>
>>My advice:
>>
>>- Learn how to use vi
>

> Not wishing to start a vi related discussion however I think Vi to the Linux
> newbie is like a brick to a drowning man. Far better for a newbie to learn
> something like Emacs or even a GUI editor such as Kate before they look at
> vi.

bah, i learned VI (not Vim) back in the days where UNIX was nothing more
than some jargon word to me (it was actually on an AIX system in my
first C++ class) .. i hated it initially, but it came pretty quickly
(esp with cheat sheets we were handed the first day of class, which is
one thing I want to add more of on my website .. very quick ref for VI
type of thing) ... since then, i can't stand any other editor ... i can
edit things much faster in vi than anything else and use it as my only
editor for php/mysql programming ...

besides, i don't think it'd be much more of a jump from notepad.exe to
Vim than it would be from notepad.exe to emacs ... i could see pico
sooner than emacs ... but, that's one of the wonderful things about
linux ... use the one you like most (and then try to start flamewars
about it in e-mail groups .. j/k)

-g-