[mythtv-users] OT: backing up to hard drive

pmb junk at umich2.com
Wed May 11 20:33:10 UTC 2005

This is totally off topic, but it probably applies to a lot of people
here who have too much data for tape backups.
I support a linux file server for a client that is fed up with using
tape backups and insists on setting up a back up to a hard drive. The
whole package will need to be idiot proof and easy to use.
I imagine many people on this list are already doing this.
 Questions I have...
What software are you using? It seems like a simple tar or cp in a cron
job would do the trick.
What hardware are you using to provide hot swapable drives at a
reasonable cost? USB, SCSI?
How are you moving the drives offsite? It seems like just chucking a
bare drive in your car everyday will drastically reduce its life span.
Anybody have any experience with these
http://www.high-rely.com/index.cfm?action=products&group=3 ?