[mythtv-users] How does MythTV w/Xbox client on XBMC compare toMCE 2005 ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 11 19:20:29 UTC 2005

On 5/10/05, Greg Mitchell <greg at nodecam.com> wrote:
> > [RANT] An alternative would be to use a hacked BIOS (EvolutionX or
> > others) but I don't really like that idea so I've pretty much given up
> > on making this XBox useful in the short term. Hacked BIOS's are great
> > for kids playing games but it's my opinion, and only my opinion, that
> > adults shouldn't go down that path. I *think* you could make a new
> > XBox work with EvoX but I decided not to spend my time on it and am
> > now looking into some sort of mini/micro-ATX platform as a quiet
> > frontend only machine.[/RANT]
>
> I understand that your views on IP rights differ from mine, but they're
> not so far apart as you might think.

Very possibly true.

> My view is that using a hacked
> bios isn't wrong because I have the right to use the original bios that
> was hacked in the first place (know what I mean?)

Yes. Absolutely. I understand your point. I don't agree with it in a
global **legal** sense but I see it and I understand it. If we want to
talk more about this POV I suggest we do it offline and not bother
folks here.

> Yes, the people who
> hacked it broke the DMCA or whatever law to modify the thing, but
> honestly, I paid for the hardware, I paid for the bios, why can't I use
> a modified version of that bios.  I think that is only fair.

I agree it seems fair. I think that a number of issues about copyright
law aren't always fair though. none the less, for personal use only I
completely see your point of view. Even the guys who hacked it may not
have broken DMCA in the process of hacking it but possibly only in
distributing their work. Who knows? It's edgy.

> That's not to say that I support a lot of the things that hacked bioses
> are used for - game piracy and the like.  Those things are wrong wrong
> wrong.  I don't use my xbox for that, even though it's technically able
> with the bios that's installed.  I suspect there are a lot of people out
> there in the same boat as me, though we're clearly in the minority on
> the "xbox-scene"

Neither do I or probably 99% of the people here. We are not
xbox-scene's target audience I'm sure. I understand that.

> It would be great to be able to use cromwell, and avoid all the
> potential pitfalls, but as you know, that's not an option for those of
> us with 1.6 boxen.

Yep.

> I don't view using my hardware to do the legal things I want it to do as
> illegal, immoral or childish.
>
> Greg

Thanks,
Mark