[mythtv-users] Scary times ahead

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Wed May 11 17:26:35 UTC 2005

On 5/11/05, Martin <mmacleod at london.edu> wrote:

> Check system logs - where are they? what are they called?

Pretty much all logs and most config files on Linux are plain text
files. There's not really an equivalent of the registry.

Most logs are found under /var/log/. Use your favorite graphical text
editor to view them. A more common Linux-style way to view them would
be at the command line. To look at one of the most important log
files, type the following at the command line:

less /var/log/messages

Many important config files live in the /etc directory. For example,
/etc/syslog.conf dictates which system messages go in which log file.

Many of the config files can also be indirectly edited using graphical
system configuration tools. Under Fedora, these can be found in the
System Settings submenu under the Gnome or KDE start menu. Note that
when you use these graphical tools, what's really happening is that
the tools are editing the config files under /etc for you. Much
different than under Windows.

> Install software and then go to start it up - where is the icon? Where is
> the program kept? what is the equivalent of .exe in linux? Grrrrrrrr - (find
> ./ -name...)

A unified mechanism for installing and maintaining programs is in some
ways a major weak point in Linux. On the other hand, there are some
very powerful and easy-to-use tools.

On Fedora, the default mechanism for installing and removing programs
is rpm. Look it up how to use it by typing the following at the
command line:

man rpm

Basically, you can download software as .rpm files, then install them like this:

cd /example/path/to/my/downloads
rpm -ivh some-package-3.1.i386.rpm

Substituting, of course, the real path and real file name.

A better way to manage software is using the apt tools. Jarod's
excellent MythTV installation guide
(http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php) walks you step-by-step how to
install and use apt. Once you have apt installed and configured,
installing and removing software is done through the graphical
synaptic program, or like so:

apt-get install some-package
apt-get remove another-package

When you install a program, the files are usually (but not always)
installed somewhere under /usr. The executable files are usually found
under /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin.

Linux apps don't necessarily end in .exe. To find out if a file is an
executable, you have to look at its permission bits. Assume you have a
file that you think is an executable. Maybe it is located at
/usr/bin/konqueror. Go to the command line, and type the following:

ls -l /usr/bin/konqueror

You'll get this back:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         3.3K Mar 31 15:25 /usr/bin/konqueror

By looking at this line, I can tell that the file's owner is root (the
first root listed), the file is also associated with the group root
(the second root listed). I can tell that the user root can read the
file, change the file (write permission), and execute the file (first
rwx). I can tell that any user who belongs to the group root can read
the file, can't change the file, but can execute the file (first r-x).
I can tell that all other users can read the file, can't change the
file, but can execute the file (second r-x).

Another tip is that when I do an ls of /usr/bin or /usr/bin/konqueror,
the file name shows up green (at least when I use konsole - that's the
KDE command line program).

You can also look at permissions by browsing to the file in konqueror
(the KDE equivalent of Windows Explorer), right-clicking on a file and
selecting Properties.

You asked where the icon is. If you're using KDE or GNOME as your
desktop environment, then you can click on the KDE start menu icon
(looks like a K) or the GNOME start menu icon (looks like a foot).
>From there it's a lot like using the Windows start menu. Most programs
with a GUI are listed here. You can also add your own entries by right
clicking on the KDE menu and selecting Menu Editor.

You can also open Konqueror and type applications:/ in the address
bar, then hit Enter.

You can also launch programs from the command line. If the program is
in your path (type echo $PATH to see your path; edit ~/.bash_profile
or ~/.bashrc to add directories to your path), then you can just type
the name of the program at the command line. If it's not in your path,
then you can type the full name (including all directories) like this:

/usr/bin/konqueror

or do this:

cd /usr/bin
./konqueror

> I tell you this so you will understand how little linux knowledge I have! As
> a result I decided to create myself a linux project to teach me the basics
> and get to know my way around, because I do like the open source model and
> think it is the way forward, so a Fedora HTPC is my pet project.
> My dual layer DVD drive and Hauppage WinTV PVR500 MCE dual tuner card have
> just been ordered. ( The card was chosen as I only have 1 PCI slot)

Just a heads up, I believe that the ivtv drivers for the PVR500 are
still somewhat raw. I'm sure that they will get better, but just be
aware that they may take a lot of TLC to get working.

> I have
> an old Dell that I will use as a test box, with the intention of  building a
> socket 939 system (shuttle ST20G) if all goes OK. I have been reading up and
> understand alot of drivers are in development (ivtv) etc
> For those of you Linux Gurus who fancy a laugh, I will be documenting the
> entire process as I feel it will be useful for other newbies as alot of docs
> assume a level of linux knowledge that some people just do not have. I am
> aware that there will be a hell of a lot of googling for error messages, and
> probably alot of posting to this group, and I expect to have less hair and a
> few very frustrating days/weeks before I am finished, but its time to try
> something new and learn something along the way...

As I mentioned before, your best bet will be to start at Jarod's guide
(http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php) and make extra notes based on
your experience.

Good luck, and don't bang your head against too many walls. As long as
you're willing to do your research first, and think when you ask
questions, people are usually very happy to help you along.

> The one question I am not sure on is remote controls, what is the best
> remote to use with the PVR 500 card, there seems to be many options,( mainly
> radioshack) so I thought I would throw it out to the community to see what
> was the most popular choice. We have many universal/learning remotes in the
> UK, so I dont want to end up buying the wrong one.

I use this remote:

NiveusMedia PC Remote PC Infrared / RF Remote Control - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16880100651

It has a USB dongle that you attach to your computer. It uses RF for
communication with the computer, and IR for communication with the TV
and other devices. The buttons can be reprogrammed, which is nice.

If the PVR 500 comes with its own remote, there's a good chance you can use it.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Lane

P.S. At the command line, type the following (note, the first line
switches users to the root user):

su -
makewhatis

After you do this, you can find out about new commands by typing:

substituting a keyword for .......

This will return any manual pages that relate to that keyword. For
example, if you want to know what commands you can use to configure
samba file sharing, type:

man -k samba

--
Meetup with other Myth users!