[mythtv-users] Plextor 402

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Wed May 11 05:01:37 UTC 2005

Tim Sailer wrote:

 > I just upgraded the 'spare' machine to the .18 debs. It took a little
 > tinkering, but it looks like everything is working. Great job all
 > around!

I had skipped frames in a number of places in a recording I made with one the
other day.  I might try it on my WinXP box to see if it's a hardware problem or
a software problem.

 > Qs relating to the Plextor unit.
 > 1) Quality is real nice, but the file sizes are almost as big as the
 > MPEGs from the 250 board! Is there any way to make them smaller?

Set a lower bitrate.  The default bitrate is already much lower than what I use
with my PVR-x50s (I use 6 Mbps with those), and I thought it created blocky
video.  I got pretty good quality out of it at 5 Mbps.

(One thing I'd like to see is an option to use MPEG-2 instead of MPEG-4. MPEG-4
(at least as it's implemented here) doesn't save enough bandwidth to make it
worthwhile.)

 > 2) What file format is the recorded .nuv file in? Nothing seems to
 > want to touch it, except Mythtv. Mplayer doesn't, gxine, or even
 > nuvexport!

I was able to play the video in Windows Media Player with DSMyth and ffmpeg. (I
was also able to use the video in an Avisynth script by using
DirectShowSource.)  Video recorded at 480x480 wasn't properly scaled to 4:3,
though.  It should be the same format as video recorded with a dumb
framegrabber (Bt8x8, etc.).

   _/_