[mythtv-users] How does MythTV w/Xbox client on XBMC compare toMCE 2005 ?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed May 11 02:40:12 UTC 2005

On 5/10/05, Jacques Poulin <jacques at jpti.ca> wrote:

> How about the real MythTV front end (the Linux one) for the Xbox ?  What are
> its strengths and weaknesses ?
>
> Thanks for your feedback.

One obvious weakness I've run into on the XBox is that it's getting
very hard to make it work without using hacked software. In the retail
chain here in California you can only buy the latest model which is
1.6(b). To use this version you first need to do chip mods to the
machine. It wasn't too difficult for me to find someone to do that.
The cost was very mild. The chip mod is to hold an alternative BIOS so
that the machine can boot to an alternative OS. (Linux in this case.)
The preferred alternative BIOS would be Cromwell, but the Cromwell
BIOS is not supporting this version of the XBox at this time so I'm
stuck.

[RANT] An alternative would be to use a hacked BIOS (EvolutionX or
others) but I don't really like that idea so I've pretty much given up
on making this XBox useful in the short term. Hacked BIOS's are great
for kids playing games but it's my opinion, and only my opinion, that
adults shouldn't go down that path. I *think* you could make a new
XBox work with EvoX but I decided not to spend my time on it and am
now looking into some sort of mini/micro-ATX platform as a quiet
frontend only machine.[/RANT]

Anyway, be careful about just buying an XBox new. If you want to use
Cromwell find a 1.4 or earlier.

Cheers,
Mark