[mythtv-users] OT: Commell LV-667T; Real HDTV? Or just really good SDTV?

Eric Gilbert eric.gilbert at gmail.com
Tue May 10 18:02:13 UTC 2005

Hi all,

Maybe I'm not reading this right (or something is buried in
doublespeak) but it looks like the VT1625 on the Commell LV-667T
doesn't actually take HDTV resolutions as input.

According to the Via site
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/video-display/tv/vt1625/ the chip
uses their ProScale achieve 720p and 1080i output. "This enables
scaling of an image from 0.5 to 1.5 factors in the horizontal and
vertical directions allowing input resolutions from 640x480 – 1024x768
to outputted up to the latest 1080i or 720p standard HDTV
resolutions."

So, to show a video broadcast as 720p it would have to be scaled TWICE
to be output at 720p. Once on the way from 1280x720 into the chip
(probably at .8 so that a resolution of 1024x576 could be kept) and be
under 1024x768 for the encoding chip to work with then again ( at 1.25
) on the way out to the display.

Am I missing something here? I'm not opposed to scaling down HD to
display in SD, but I have often seen artifacts on anything that has
been scaled up in realtime. Am I making a mountain out of a marketing
language molehill, or should the artifacts be minimal?

Thanks,
Eric

PS. Thanks to the devs for all their hard work :)