[mythtv-users] Setting up MythTV using a PVR350 on NTL in the UK

Miah Gregory mace at darksilence.net
Tue May 10 13:12:16 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm having some problems setting up mythtv to work with NTL cable in the
UK. I'm using the debian unstable packages of myth 0.17 for now, I'm
planning to build 0.18 from source once I've got the basics working.

I've got a 4001 series digital box, which I'm feeding into the PVR350
via composite (for now, I'm hoping to get hold of a scart->svideo cable
at some point).

Bought a red eye serial cable, but whenever I send the 3 digit channel
numbers down to the box, often the last digit doesn't get through, and
less often there are problems with the first/second. Checked I'm in RC5
mode (correct for the 4001 series), and emailed the vendor, who
basically suggested repositioning the transmitter. :-(
Has anyone else had luck with this setup, or suggest where I might be
going wrong?

Main problem is to do with setting up myth itself. My composite feed
provides me with 6 channels. Channels 1 to 5 are analogue feeds for UK
channels, and the sixth is for the decoded digital feed from the box
itself. What's the best way of setting myth up to ideally allow tuning
to 1 to 5, and also allow tuning to 6 whilst using the red eye remote to
switch the digital channel?

With the PVR350, as it handles both video and audio decoding/output, I
have no need for a sound card. Is there a way to persuade mythtv not to
try opening /dev/dsp when operating in this mode?

Finally(!), with livetv, I've noticed that audio seems to get out of
sync when tracking around in the stream, is this a known issue?

Thanks in advance.

--
Miah Gregory