[mythtv-users] how much space does an HD recording take?

Brad Templeton brad+myth at templetons.com
Tue May 10 06:03:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 02:05:29PM -0700, Kelly wrote:
> I'm seeing about 7GB per hour for a show like 24.
>
> kel

That's highly curious.   Here, 24 is unusual.  Whil many 720p shows
are indeed 6 to 7gb for an hour, 24 is just 3 to 4gb per hour on
KTVU-HD Oakland.

I presume 24 is shot on film at 24fps so they only send that.  Is
your station upsampling or doing something odd?  I don't think mine is
downsampling.

One of us should complain.  I find it very nice that 24 takes up half
the disk space of most hd programs.