[mythtv-users] how much space does an HD recording take?

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Mon May 9 22:15:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:35:28PM -0700, JY wrote:
> I'm trying to get a good idea of how much disk space I need.  I want
> around 100 hrs.  I tried to search but didn't come up with much exact
> figures.  Something in the range of 6-10GB/hr?  is this right?
>
> Thanks

I know others have answered this, but just incase here are my facts.  I
have just under 1TB of storage for recordings.  I get between 210-240Hrs
of shows recorded at any one time.  Not all shows are HD, which is why I
often state 4-10GB and an average of 5GB.  Shows can be more than
19.6Mb/s when they have multiple audio subchannels.  My fox station has
2 audio subchannels for their HD broadcast - A PBS station has 3 (The
third is their radio station that gets recorded as part of their HD
sub channel).

Although HDTV can be more than 10GB/hr, for the next year assumming
6GB/hr will be fine, next year maybe you'll need 7GB/hr average.  And
not everyone will be doing 1080i at 19.6Mb/s, such as fox who does 720p
since that is better for fast motion than 1080i, and it's only about
14Mb/s.

--Brandon