[mythtv-users] computer clock drifting

Steve Frank steve.frank at bevcore.com
Mon May 9 21:54:42 UTC 2005

Aaron Aguilar wrote:
> What is the best way to keep my clock accurate?  I thought I enabled
> ntp when I initially installed mythtv, but it doesn't seem to be
> working, missed the end of Family Guy!  I don't reboot the system
> very often so maybe that is the reason?  (It only checks the time on
> reboot?)  I'm just looking for the least painless way to get this
> done.  I do have it connected to broadband, but in the future I will
> be disconnecting it.
>
> So if you know a way to do it for both situations that would be great.
>
> Cheers,
> Aaron

Lots to look at here --- enabling ntpd as a system daemon should keep
you running, and should keep it synced with periodic checks to an
internet time server.  It should work "continuously" and not require you
to reboot to resync.

Which distro are you using? Location of the ntpd.conf file varies with
distro.  Some distributions work out of the box, others require you to
find internet time servers that are nearby to your locale.  The file
you'll need to edit on Fedora Core 3, for example is /etc/ntp.conf.

Also another tip--if you can, enable some extra minutes at the beginning
and ending of your recording settings to deal with things being slightly
off. This can cause a problem, of course, if you want to bump up against
another program you want to record back-to-back, so be aware of that.  I
typically record for an addition 2 minutes before and after to avoid the
problem you state above, but I use a system with dual tuners to avoid
the overlap (as I also record Family Guy, followed by American Dad).

Steve