[mythtv-users] record in HD, but watch in analog ?

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:33:27 UTC 2005

Joshua,

The 16:9 programs recorded in HD, how do you play them on analog TV
(4:3)  ? Do they play with black bars on top and bottom (just like
watching DVDs on a 4:3 TV) ?

Also, if I connect frontend to an HDTV (which has 16:9 aspect ratio ..
Panny DLP) using svideo, will I see the HD program in 16:9 (if its
recorded in native 16:9, say CSI, etc). Ofcourse, the quality will be
downres'd to svideo, but is the 16:9 aspect ratio still preserved ?

My main goal is to watch the HD programs in their native mode but
sacrifice the HD quality right now. Once I've figured out what I need
in the HD-frontend, I'll switch to HD output. But I still want to jump
on the HD bandwagon. (It'll be better than watching taped shows on a
vcr getting signals from a rooftop analog antenna ! the vcr is
connected to a panny DLP tv .. talk about waste of resources !!!!)

Thanks
Mudit