[mythtv-users] record in HD, but watch in analog ?

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Mon May 9 20:19:11 UTC 2005

So which machine is downscaling ? frontend or backend ?

My backend is going to be a sempron 3000+. Since I dont need much
horsepower in the backend, I guess a sempron 3000+ should be ok (as
per tomshardware.com mega cpu list, the sempron 3000+ is about 5-10%
slower than athlon xp 3000+ for audio/video encoding purposes).

My present frontend is going to be a sempron 2600+ box, with geforce
mx440 with svideo out. This is a temp solution. My permanent frontend
for the analog TV will be the media mvp (if I can get it to work). The
media mvp has builtin mpeg decoder with svideo out.

My main issue is if I watch HD recorded/live on analog TV, how much
horsepower do I need to downres (and where ? front or back ?)

Thanks

Mudit