[mythtv-users] record in HD, but watch in analog ?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Mon May 9 20:02:49 UTC 2005

On 5/9/2005 3:40 PM, Trey Boudreau wrote:

>On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 03:24:38PM -0400, David George wrote:
>

>>On 5/9/2005 3:19 PM, Mudit Wahal wrote:
>>

>>>Will I be able to play the programs recorded in HD in the backend on
>>>an analog TV (connected via a frontend-svideo) ?
>>>

>>Yes, no problem.  One of my frontends has an MX-4000 card using S-Video
>>out.  You won't get HD res, but you can display HD programs on an analog TV.
>>

>Out of curiosity, do you have performance issues down-scaling 1080i or
>720p content?

Nope, no performance issues.  Of course this particular frontend is a P4
2.8 w/1Meg cache so I probably wouldn't notice performance problems
anyway.  It isn't hyperthreaded, but I had no problems displaying 1080i
or 720p (actually scaling 720p to 540p as my TV doesn't support 720p)
back when I was using it with a 9A60 to convert VGA to component video.

--
David

HDTV frontend I'm working on (pictures, mythmon source)
  http://mythhd.info