[mythtv-users] Working: FC3, Hauppauge WinTV 401, ALSA

karsten karsten at jeppesens.com
Mon May 9 18:05:05 UTC 2005

I finally am looking at a working setup.

My hardware setup is nothing special and it is insufficient for my
intended use, but it is sufficient to prove that this works.
I have a 1.1GHz AMD Athlon on a mobo with VIA sound (Fry's USD69 - he he).
Hauppauge WinTV 401 (includes sound digitizer).

My goal was to install MythTV using ALSA (because OSS is phasing out -
depreciated) and using the bt sound module. Not the btaudio - that
belongs to the depreciated OSS, but the snd_bt87x module of ALSA.
It was also a partial goal not to install any desktop if possible.

I succeded in all goals, but the sound is still not acceptable. This is
caused either by MythTVs inability to handle ALSA or my inability to
tweek ALSA to fit MythTV. Given that the OSS is depreciated - the first
cause is the primary. So I am waiting for MythTV to correctly support ALSA.
The screen geometry is also not acceptable yet. I need to figure out how
to correctly configure Xorg.

But otherwise I am running.

If you want to see the details, then I have set a webpage with accurate
descriptions of how to set up MythTV using this combination of hardware
in about an hour.

Karsten