[mythtv-users] Scanned DVB channels - what now?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon May 9 02:10:39 UTC 2005

On 5/9/05, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's the questions:
> 1) How come there are all these channels and not just 1 for each
> broadcaster like with analogue? Which ones do I use in MythTV?

Thats the beauty of the auto channel scan.  In 0.16 and before, you
entered this all manually so you only had the channels you entered.
With 0.17+, the tuner scan for all the transport stream (or something)
and you get all the available channels added.  I just use MythWeb to
hide the ones I don't want.  I believe changes have been commited to
CVS to hide the hidden ones from the browse mode also, which is cool.

Just hide the crappy ones you don't want.  For example, I hide all the
TV guide ones, and the HD ones and keep the pure SD ones.

> 2) What do I need to do now to actually _see_ one of these channels in
> LiveTV? When I go into LiveTV I see a blank screen for about 5 seconds
> and then it goes back to the menu. Could this be because I don't have
> the right start number for the initial LiveTV channel entered? If so,
> where do I get that number?

It could well be the problem.  Just go to mythweb or mythtvsetup and
find the channel number for one of the channels you want to show and
enter it as the start channel.  Then, try to watch live TV.  If that
don't work, you will need to run from a console and see what is being
ooutput.  I am no good at this debugging of Myth issues but someone
could probably identify your problem.

> 3) THe most concerning thing is that when I go into view recordings I
> get a blue theme background but no text/lists of recordings etc and
> the machine freezes totally - no remote control, no keyboard, all I
> can do is press reset. Why is that? Could it be because I haven't
> entered the XMLTVID against each channel?

This sounds like a problem.  I assume it used to work fine with your
old tuner.  Maybe it is something youve done, but log outputs may help
someone to identify what is going on.

> Thanks,
> Phill

Good luck,
Whytey

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.