[mythtv-users] Multiple (duplicate) instances of mythfrontend

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Mon May 9 00:28:47 UTC 2005

On 5/8/05, Colin Smillie <csmillie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/8/05, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> > to restart the frontend if it is not running.  Problem is, when I restart
> > the frontend, I sometimes (but not always) get two instances of the
> > frontend, and this causes conflicts with sound, among other things.  It's
>
> Are you sure your getting 2 new instances or is the old instance not
> being killed off?  I had a similar problem where the frontend wouldn't
> die without a kill -9 instruction.   I modified my script to include
> this.  I also expanded it to cover mplayer and xine ( included below
> ), there might be better implementations...
>
> Colin

I'm betting that the OP's original mythfrontend is being killed off,
and two new instances are started. I have the same issue. There was a
thread a few weeks ago that spoke about VNC being the culprit, and at
first I thought that killing off my vncserver fixed it, but this was
not the case. I still have two instances started when using the power
button script, even when vnc is dead.

IIRC, that VNC thread did have a solution, using modifications to the
script. You may want to have another look at that. I've archived it
for when I have time to fiddle with the issue again.

Garry