[mythtv-users] Setting up a DVB Card

Matt Wynne Geek.Lists.MythTV at mattwynne.fastmail.fm
Sun May 8 22:11:05 UTC 2005

> I just joined the list so I don't have all the entire thread to this
> conversation but it seems like you are trying to recompile/update the
> kernel
> with some kernel modules.  Are you doing a recompile of the kernel from
> vanilla source or just using FC3s update mechanism?

Hi Andy, thanks for the reply.

I began by following the "myth(tv)ology" guide [1] to get fedora core up
and running which worked like a charm, and I used yum and apt-get to
update the OS and then the kernel (as described in the myth(tv)ology
guide). I'm now at stage 10 ("Get and install capture card driver(s)")
of that guide, and since it seems a little thin for my card, I'm
following Martin Smith's guide [2], specifically the 'install drivers'
stage.  I'm totally new to linux, so I may be wrong, but as I understand
it what I'm trying to do is install the DVB drivers from linuxtv.org by
building the latest version from source out of CVS. I wasn't aware that
this involved touching the kernel, though as I say I might have got the
wrong end of the stick.

I notice Martin's guide has a specific kernel 2.6 related section (most
of which makes little sense to me) but which mentions that "The Fedora
kernels include the DVB drivers." - I had hoped that meant that I didn't
need to do any of this, but I cannot get any mention of DVB in my output
from dmesg, which seems to be Martin's test for successfull DVB driver
installation.

> I know if you compile the vanilla kernel there are a bunch of side
> modules
> that you need to include in order for the DVB stuff to work.  I'm using a
> pcHDTV HD-3000 which is an ATSC board that has DVB support in Kernel
> 2.6.12-rc2 and greater.

my Kernel is version 2.6.11-1.14 - are you saying I might have a better
chance of getting this working if I upgraded to this newer kernel? can I
do that with a yum or apt-get, or is this going to need me to build the
kernel manually (yikes).

> If you don't mind, could you send an output of lsmod?
voila:

[root at MediaBox mythtv]# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
radeon                 74177  1
lp                     12489  0
autofs4                26181  0
sunrpc                164485  1
xfs                   586001  1
exportfs                8641  1 xfs
dm_mod                 59221  0
video                  15813  0
button                  6609  0
battery                 9285  0
ac                      4805  0
md5                     4161  1
ipv6                  259201  10
joydev                  9601  0
uhci_hcd               33497  0
video_buf              21764  0
i2c_algo_bit            9033  0
v4l2_common             5504  0
btcx_risc               4488  0
tveeprom               11800  0
videodev                9665  0
parport_pc             28421  1
parport                40201  2 lp,parport_pc
i2c_viapro              7889  0
i2c_core               21953  3 i2c_algo_bit,tveeprom,i2c_viapro
snd_via82xx            28801  1
snd_ac97_codec         71097  1 snd_via82xx
snd_pcm_oss            51953  0
snd_mixer_oss          18241  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                99657  3 snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              33093  1 snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc          9669  2 snd_via82xx,snd_pcm
gameport                5057  1 snd_via82xx
snd_mpu401_uart        10049  1 snd_via82xx
snd_rawmidi            28641  1 snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_device          8781  1 snd_rawmidi
snd                    56741  11
snd_via82xx,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device
soundcore              10785  1 snd
3c59x                  44009  0
mii                     4929  1 3c59x
floppy                 64753  0