[mythtv-users] Making best use of spare PCs

Daniel Howell howelld at brumster.com
Sun May 8 20:37:17 UTC 2005

Howdy all,

The essence of this question centers around improving transcoding by
utilising the various spare PCs I have kicked around as well as the myth
server.

My Myth backend, an Athlon XP 2600+ (with two DVB-T cards) is running sweet
as a nut, and I currently use nuvexport to archive off recordings from .nuv
file to .mpg - I want straight MPEG2 output so I can burn to DVD (I'm not
fussed for the extra space saving of XviD/DivX, etc).

It currently transcodes (via ffmpeg) at somewhere between 18 and 25 fps.

I've got two other PCs, all running the dreaded Windoze, and I'm wondering
if I can use them to do some of the work. One is a P4 3.06, the other an AMD
FX53.

My main problem is getting these blasted NUV files to a useable MPEG2
format. I don't want to install linux on these other machines just to get
"nuvexport" - is there any way of making a NUV into an MPEG2?

Cheers,
Dan Howell
Birmingham, UK