[mythtv-users] MythWeb without MythBackend

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Sun May 8 14:38:29 UTC 2005

Not sure if this has been addressed before, I can't find a reference. Is
there a way I can split off my MythWeb from my backend server and put it
on a different server?

Basically my problem is thus; I have a web server already on my home
network... A perfectly serviceable Linux box that serves web pages on
the Internet and Intranet. It already does a good chunk of PHP
processing, so I'm not worried about the load on that. Every time I try
to use Mythweb and someone is watching live TV, it pauses... Sometimes
several times in a row and can get really annoying. Watching top I saw
that the problem is the PHP processing of HTTPD... I tried renicing
HTTPD and it helped, but didn't eliminate the problem.

The SQL server on the backend isn't a problem; I've got it tuned to chow
down more RAM than it actually needs (got 768M in the box... More than
enough), so the SQL queries are pretty fast. It's really just the PHP
rendering that's giving me grief.

So, can I install Mythweb on my other box (Mandrake 10 if that helps)
and have that take over the PHP processing load without having to
install a slave backend on it? I'd really rather not install a slave
backend if I don't have to.

Thoughts?