[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag (tell me why myth users should caretechnically?)

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sat May 7 17:53:57 UTC 2005

> Why does the flag matter to us myth users ? (in terms of
> hardware selection)

I am sure you will get many other good reasons from others. The problem
would be that the tuner that decodes the signal would only be able to pass
the decoded signal to licensed display devices over a secure communications
path. The main intent of the law was to make it so that computers would
never be able to decode the signal since the bus on a computer is not a
secure path and its unlikely a company like nVidia would be able to get a
video card approved as a secure display device.

Now all this would not stop someone from creating a device that took the
analog output (PbY or rgb-hv) and reencoded it in another format that the
computer could understand. They are willing to let that happen as its a
degraded signal. Of course if you make too good of a re-encoder you will
probably get harrased to death by the MPAA legal goons for enabling unsavory
(read profit reducing) activities.