[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag (tell me why myth users should care technically?)

Endaf Jones jonese at zener.com
Sat May 7 17:28:55 UTC 2005

Why does the flag matter to us myth users ? (in terms of hardware selection)

Doesn't the ATSC card/driver just pass the data stream down (unaltered)
and myth just records that stream to a file?  Isn't the real magic in
enforcing the flag in the software that decodes or plays the file once
it's been stored on the HD?

What does the ATSC hardware card manufactures intend on changing once
this becomes law that we are all scared of?  Isn't the whole technical
aspect of implementing the flag out of the ATSC hardware cards hands?
Isn't the real work inside the myth software in order to implement the
legal aspects of the flag?

Assuming this is true, isn't it a simple case of modifying myth source
code in order to enforce/ignore the flag? (regardless of ATSC card flag
implementation).

# Endaf