[mythtv-users] HDTV, modelines, overscan, and DVI

Preston Crow pc-mythtv05 at crowcastle.net
Sat May 7 02:56:54 UTC 2005

I'm connecting to my HDTV with a DVI connection, and it has significant
overscan that I can't control.  I'm currently running it in 720p:
        Modeline "720p" 74.25	1280 1312 1592 1648	720 735 742 757

When X starts up, the log file tells me:
	(**) NVIDIA(0):      Mode "720p": 74.2 MHz, 45.1 kHz, 59.5 Hz

This should be 59.94, not 59.5, right?  (I know that ATSC is supposed to
support a number of different versions of 720p, including 50Hz, 59.94Hz,
and 60Hz, according to Wikipedia, but local broadcasts are 59.94Hz, so
that's what I want.)

My next issue is the overscan.  I've been dealing with this by setting
the GUI size and offests in Myth's appearance setup screen.  The numbers
work out as:  1152x672+64+25.  The downside of doing this is that I
don't have a good way of telling things like MythGame to run with those
dimensions.  So I found Jarod Wilson's page:
	http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/mythhd.php
He explains how you can create a modeline that has the same timings, but
only has a subset of the lines, so I created an 1152x672 mode that
should have done the trick, but apparently using a DVI connection, that
trick doesn't work.  The Myth GUI stretches off the screen just as the
original did.  Am I correct that this trick is hopeless with DVI?

--PC