[mythtv-users] Recordings to DVD

Lane Schwartz dowobeha at gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:06:57 UTC 2005

On 5/4/05, Andrew Hogue <hogue at cs.yorku.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to hear from people who have been able to transfer their
> recordings to DVD successfully with Menus.
>
> I've looked through the archives and mailing lists and have seen random
> thoughts from people, some who say they have it working, but not giving
> many details on which software they used etc.
>
> I've been trying to use DVDStyler and QDVDAuthor as the gui, which works
> fine.  The issue is that after I get the menus created properly and then
> author the dvd,... I can't play it properly with xine or ogle.
>
> Playing from the directory structure for other backed-up dvds work
> perfectly.  Also the menus show up and are navigable through xine.  Once I
> attempt to play the actual video (through menu traversal) the video starts
> to play and then pauses for a few seconds, then starts and plays for about
> 1 second and pauses again... etc...
>
> The actual .vob files work fine when playing them directly with xine and
> mplayer.
>
> Basically, the process I use is:
> --------------------------------
> - record shows using mythtv 0.17 + pvr250 at 720x480 2200 bitrate
> - find commercial breaks and flag them
> - use latest nuvexport to export MPEG2->MPEG2(cutlist only)  I have also
> tried the MPEG->DVD option resulting in the same problem.
> - create menu menu.xml file using qdvdauthor
> - run dvdauthor -x "menu.xml"

I do what you do, except I use dvdstyler and k3b instead of qdvdauthor
and dvdauthor.

so my last 2 steps are:

- use dvdstyler to create dvd (menus, chapters, etc) then save as iso
- burn iso with k3b

I'm not sure about my bitrate - I think I use higher than 2200...

Lane

--
Meetup with other Myth users!
http://mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MUG