[mythtv-users] Broadcast flag thrown out

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 16:48:18 UTC 2005

Wendy Seltzer wrote:

> The DC Circuit has ruled in our favor, unanimously throwing out the
> FCC's broadcast flag -- the rule that would have prevented pcHDTV and
> Air2PC from making HDTV tuner cards in the US after July 1.
>
> <http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/docs/common/opinions/200505/04-1037b.pdf>
> "Because the Commission exceeded the scope of its
> delegated authority, we grant the petition for review, and reverse
> and vacate the Flag Order insofar as it requires demodulator
> products manufactured on or after July 1, 2005 to recognize and
> give effect to the broadcast flag."
>
> Next, we'll have to stop the MPAA from going to Congress to get it back.

Congratulations Wendy and to all at the EFF for making this possible!
This is great news. You are a very busy person, how do you find time to
do it all!

When they say they "grant the petition for review" does that mean that
the DC Circuit will review the case again? Or does it mean that they
grant the review NOW and their final ruling is to reverse and vacate the
Flag Order?

Also: correct me if I'm wrong: but this ruling doesn't prohibit asset
owners from inserting the broadcast flag into their streams. Correct?

brad

--
Brad Fuller
(408) 799-6124