[mythtv-users] LxMSuite.com to provide services to the Myth community

Ryan A. Carris racarris at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:23:41 UTC 2005

On 5/6/05, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Sorry to sounds like a pessimist here but Tribune never does anything
> without a reason. Take for example  their cars.com website. Did you know
> that the only companies allowed to upload listings (from dealers, not
> individuals)  are companies that are owned by one of the newspaper companies
> that are directly involved with the site? An independent newspaper can't
> even get a quote on how much it costs.
>
>  Tribune, Gannet and Knight Ridder (all owners of cars.com) have been buying
> up all of the independent newspapers around the county in order to gain a
> oligopoly in the industry. To say that they are doing this just to keep
> people from scraping their data is foolhardy. What they have managed to do
> is gain the goodwill of the community in order to make everyone rely on
> their data direct service.
>
>  Think of it this way, replace Tribune with Microsoft and tell me if you
> would feel the same way. There is always an angle.

Why the heck do you feel you deserve free listings from Tribune?  I
think that they have every right to charge us.  They charge Comcast,
DirectTV, Tivo and everyone else.  They spend money on servers,
bandwidth, system administators, and people to input the data.  Do you
expect them to give this away for free?

They have been as open and generous as they can.  If you don't agree
with that statement, I suggest you try and use one of the listing
scappers, like we used to have to do and like the rest of the world
uses.  It isn't always fun.  Better yet, why don't you sit around
every Sunday and type up the TV Guide and upload it for me to use.
Just make sure you type up the Chicago Comcast listings, but I don't
need the digital cable, so you can save some time and skip those.