[mythtv-users] LxMSuite.com to provide services to the Myth community

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Fri May 6 12:35:09 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, David Brieck Jr. <dbrieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is interesting, from their FAQ:
>
> Does all this mean I have to pay to use MythTV?
>
>  Not at all. LxMSuite was designed to add value to MythTV and provide a way
> for users to help support the development of features and plugins. Users can
> continue to use the free data provided from zap2it for as long as it's
> offered.
>
> Is it just me or does anyone else see this as a way for TMS to get out of
> the free tv listings business? I'd give it a year before they decide to stop
> offerering listings and buy this company out so that they can grab the
> revenue stream they've been loosing all along.

I find it amazing that a company who provides a fantasic service to
our poprject gets treated like the bad guy so often.  First, dealing
with individual customers is not in Tribune's buisness model.  Second
even if it *was* their model there's not enough users to make a market
for a company of that size. And last, they're well aware of the fact
that people would go right back to scraping.

The free DataDirect offering saves Tribune money just by virtue of
being there so people don't scrape their website.  That alone ensures
it's survival.  That being said, it's also a stagnant product.  It'll
never get any new features, new data or anything like that.