[mythtv-users] Serious performance issues with Fedora Core 3 & MythTV

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:55:57 UTC 2005

On 5/5/05, Matt Merkey <powermatt at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> Within the past couple weeks I upgraded from MythTV 0.17 to 0.18, and
> got several updates for FC3 as well. After that, mythtv's performance
> just went straight to crap. I'm seeing much higher CPU usage, jumpy
> video (when the CPU usage spikes at 100%) and really awful crackling
> sound. I did a clean installation of FC3 and MythTV and nothing changed.
> I tried downgrading to MythTV 0.17 and nothing changed. I've tried both
> with and without the Linux drivers for my Radeon 9600, no change. The
> conclusion would seem to be that something that was updated with FC3 is
> causing the awful performance, but I'll be darned if I can figure out
> what it is. Here's a summary of my system's specs:
>
> Gigabyte GA7VA mobo
> AMD XP 1900+ (@ 1.6 ghz)
> 512 mb of RAM
> Western Digital ATA/100 160 gb 7200 RPM hard drive
> ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
> ATI TV Wonder (the old plain PCI version, yes I know it's an awful card)
> Creative Audigy Gamer sound card
>
> Up until that update, I had silky-smooth performance in MythTV and
> excellent sound. I've been posting at mythtvtalk.com<http://mythtvtalk.com>,
but so far I've
> been unable to get any help from there. What's the culprit here?

Matt,

Can't help with the particular problem, but I use 'rpm -qa | sort >
~/rpms-installed-#DATE#.txt' in order to keep a log of what's installed at
any particular time, especially when the system is running nicely, in case
anything installs that stops this. This is a particularly quick'n'dirty way
of doing this, but using diff will quickly reveal any differences.

On my WBEL server, yum keeps a log file of whenever a new package is
installed, maybe RHN does the same on Fedora if this is how you are getting
updates. This way, you will see what has changed since it was running
'normally' and can individually remove those until the culprit it found
(assuming the culprit is not found out)

Nick