[mythtv-users] Third Attempt At Installing MythTV

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu May 5 18:45:51 UTC 2005

On 5/5/2005 8:11 AM Nick wrote:

>On 5/4/05, Drew Tomlinson <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:
>

>>I'm trying to build a MythTV box.  I've been using FreeBSD for around 4
>>years but  I have no experience with Linux.  So my first attempt was to
>>build Myth on FreeBSD but there were lots of problems and eventually I
>>gave up.   Since MythTV was written for Linux I thought I might have an
>>easier time just using Linux.
>>
>>I started with Knoppmyth but couldn't get the CD to boot on my system.
>>Lurking here and seeing the success others were having with Fedora and
>>Jarod Wilson's guide prompted me to give that a try.  But unfortunately,
>>I have a Promise 150 SATA controller in my system.  Attached to this
>>card is a PATA (regular IDE) drive.  However the sata_promise driver
>>doesn't support the PATA interface on this card.  Only the SATA
>>interfaces.
>>
>>Googling suggested that to get this support, I needed to patch the
>>sources with libata-devel and rebuild my own kernel.  Lot's of googling
>>later and I've built and installed a custom kernel.  Seems to boot fine
>>and the PATA drive is now recognized!  :)   But now, other packaged
>>modules such as the nvidia and ivtv drivers in Jarod Wilson's guide
>>don't work.   :(   I suspect this is because they were packaged for the
>>default kernel and not the custom one I built?
>>
>>It appears I need to learn a whole lot more about Linux and how to build
>>what I need from source.  Am I on the right track?  Can anyone suggest
>>some good newbie guides to this stuff?  I find snippets googling but
>>have been unable to turn up any complete guides.
>>

>Drew,
>
>Out of interest, what system/motherboard are you builing your Myth
>system with? Are there no other PATA connectors other than those
>connected to the Promise controller?

The motherboard is an Asus K7V-T.  It does have two UDMA/66 connectors
with only a CD drive attached to the primary.  However the Promise card
has a UDMA/133 connector and the drive supports the higher speed so
that's why I'm trying to use it.  I know I could just go along with
"what works" as one poster suggested and if just getting a Myth box
running was my only goal, that's what I would do.  But I like to learn
why stuff works the way it does so I don't mind trying to get this
working "the hard way".  And to be honest, I suspect once I get the
system running and use it awhile, I'll go out and buy complete new
hardware as this box is just an AMD Thunderbird running at 750 mhz.  I
can already tell that I'll be pushing the limits of this processor.

Cheers,

Drew

--
Visit The Alchemist's Warehouse