[mythtv-users] Setting up a DVB Card

Geek.Lists.MythTV at MattWynne.fastmail.fm Geek.Lists.MythTV at MattWynne.fastmail.fm
Thu May 5 18:45:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 03 May 2005 10:36:38 +0100, "Nigel Metheringham"
<Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk> said:

> Actually what I use is the FC3/update kernel (2.6.11-1.14_FC3) with the
> following additional packages:-
>       * bttv-kmdl-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
>       * video4linux-kmdl-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
>       * ivtv-kmdl-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
>       * saa7134-kmdl-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
>       * cx88-kmdl-2.6.11-1.14_FC3
>
> You may not need the ivtv (I have a Hauppauge PVR-350 in the box as
> well), but I think all the others are necessary.
>
> [snipped]

Nigel, this is very encouraging to see! I have been banging my head
against the wall in several late-night sessions trying to get my DVB-T
card (Nebula DigiTV) working and I had come to the conclusion that my
kernel version (2.6.11-1.14) was too new for there to be sufficient
guiding documentation around for an idiot like me. Really good to see a
success story.

Having read your post, I ran all the packages above (only the last three
actually updated anything, somehow I'd already got the first two) then
did 'make' and 'insmod'[2][3] of dvb-kernel (again!) but I still can't
see any 'DVB:' entries in dmesg[1]... which is my success criteria for
this step...

Would you mind explaining how you knew which apt-get packages you
needed, and how I would go about figuring out which I need for my Nebula
card? (according to the linuxtv wiki[4] it's the same as an ATI NXT6000)

 Just for fun I tried the following but 'couldn't find package'... oh
 well:
 # apt-get install ntx6000-kmdl-2.6.11-14_FC3

 Thanks very much in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.

 cheers,
 Matt

 [1]
 There may be a clue in my dmesg: the final line is as follows:
 dvb_usb_digitv: Unknown symbol nxt6000_attach

 Though my card is PCI not USB, so this may be a red herring.

 [2]
 according to Martin Smith's guide these are probably not a problem, but
 the following lines from the beginning of insmod output might be
 relevant:
 FATAL: Module crc32 not found.
 FATAL: Module firmware_class not found.
 FATAL: Module evdev not found.

 [3]
 An error message at the end of insmod's output could be relevant to my
 card (though it is PCI, not USB):
 insmod: error inserting './dvb-usb-digitv.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in
 module

 [4]
 http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/PCI_devices_DVB-T
 sadly my card doesn't seem to have it's own page.
----
phone: +44(0)7974430184
email: matt at somethink.co.uk
  web: http://www.somethink.co.uk